The wait is over! You have got your baby in your hands! Our best wishes for you becoming a mother. You might be jubilant (happy) looking at the baby’s cute and very sensitive structure. It is great that you gave birth to the baby bearing all the pain during delivery. But you still have time to get back to the pre-pregnant stage. A lot of change happens in your body during pregnancy and after the delivery. When your baby is out, you will be in the postpartum period which is for about six weeks. You will have both the physical and emotional changes in these six weeks. To get relief from the changes, you need to go for some exercises after delivery.
[Get the list of healthy foods for pregnants]
Your abdominal muscles get stretched out during pregnancy. The stretch marks remain even after the completion of delivery, and your abdomen looks as if you are still a pregnant. To lose this belly fat, you should do some post delivery exercises and lose belly fat after pregnancy.
[Learn how to lose belly fat]
Exercises After Delivery that gives you a Flat Stomach
Post pregnancy period starts from the day of the baby’s birth. The mother’s body will be very delicate in this postpartum period. It lasts for about six to eight weeks. In these weeks, the mother experiences a lot of physical and emotional changes.
Changes that occur after pregnancy
A post pregnant woman changes her behavior after giving birth to a baby. The changes are due to the hormonal factors. Any imbalance in hormones shows a direct effect on the brain. As the pregnant women experience a lot of stress, pain, etc. during the pregnancy and the delivery time hormonal imbalance occur. So, some physical and emotional changes take place in a woman after giving birth. The list of the changes is below.
[Learn types and signs of depression]
- Hair Loss.
- Skin Decoloration.
- Sensitive Breasts.
- Stomach changes.
- Back pain.
- Urinary tract infections.
- Swelling occurs in the legs and hands.
- Excessive sweating.
- Pain in the vaginal area.
- Feeling restless or irritative.
- Feeling sad, hopeless, and blameworthy.
- Crying a lot.
- Lack of energy.
- Eating very little or too much
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Trouble in focusing, remembering or making decisions.
- Feeling worthless and guilty.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in performing activities
- Departure from friends and family.
- Having headaches, chest pains, heart palpitations (the heart beating fast and feeling like it is skipping beats), or hyperventilation (fast and shallow breathing)
These are the changes that occur in the postnatal period of the mother. You can overcome the physical changes like excess fat, back pain, etc. with some tummy toning exercises.
[Read more: Diet plan for obesity]
How to Reduce the Pregnancy Belly?
After the pregnancy, your abdomen resembles a sack like structure without elasticity. As the skin on the abdomen stretches during the growth of the foetus, once the baby is out the skin loses its elasticity. Unfortunately, those stretch marks aren’t going anywhere shortly. Stretch marks tend to be bright red in the pregnancy and soon after delivery; they will eventually turn to silver color and begin to blend in with your skin. Also, even the fittest moms will experience some flabbiness in the midsection after giving birth. Sit-ups, certain yoga poses, and other abdominal exercises can get your tummy as flat as it was in the pre-pregnant stage.
Exercises after delivery
One should do the post delivery exercises only by taking the doctor’s opinion. Women with the normal vaginal delivery can start doing the workout for stomach after one week. Later you can slowly increase the rate of postnatal exercise according to the comfort.
If the delivery is with a caesarean, then you should start tummy flattening exercises after six weeks. Since caesarean is a major operation that makes you weak do not push yourself too much. In the first six weeks after the surgery, the healing process continues. You should not do any stretching exercises or lift heavy things during the healing period. So, you can start practicing the pregnancy exercise plan when you feel comfortable in the abdominal site.
[Read more: How to get zero size]
Look at the list of the pregnant’s exercises after delivery of the baby.
The best belly exercise that you can do with the utmost comfort is the pelvic tilt. If the delivery is a normal vaginal delivery, you can do this after one week after your baby is out. If you have a c-section delivery, then wait for eight to ten weeks.
How to do the pelvic tilt?
- Lie on your back with the knees bent.
- Flatten your back against the floor by tightening your abdominal muscles and bending your pelvis up slightly.
- Hold for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Repeat for 10 to 15 times.
Kegel exercises after pregnancy
Women, during the delivery need to push the baby through the pelvis. The pelvic muscles have to stretch more than unimaginable to make a path for the baby to come out quickly. So, for a safe and smooth delivery, your pelvic muscles should be strong enough to bear the weight of the baby. There is one exercise that helps you have the strong pelvic muscles during and after pregnancy which is called the Kegel.
Benefits of Kegel
Studies say that the women who do the kegel exercises and have the strong pelvic muscles during pregnancy are active in the delivery. If you do this exercises after delivery also, it will help improve the circulation to your rectal and vaginal area.
- Try to identify the pelvic muscles, stop the urination in midstream. Once you find the right muscles, you can do the exercise. You can find the easiest way to do the kegel exercise by lying down.
- Tighten the pelvic muscles and hold the contraction for five seconds. Then relax for another five seconds.
- Repeat this for five to ten times at a time.
- Focus on tightening the pelvic muscles.
- Do not kink the muscles in your abdomen, thighs, buttocks.
- Avoid holding your breath. Have a free during the exercise.
- Do this kegel for at least three sets of 10 repetitions a day.
The Modified Hundred
- Lie on your back with the knees bent, feet flat on the ground and arms at your sides.
- Inhale and pull your stomach muscles inside.
- As you exhale, slowly lift the hands along with the head and neck from the ground.
- Remember to keep your stomach muscles
- Hold for a few seconds and take a deep breath, slowly get back to the ground with a slow exhale.
One more exercises after delivery are the abdominal breathing. The deep abdominal breathing involves a complete exchange of the oxygen into the body and carbon-di-oxide out of the body, It also improves the immune system.
- Place one hand on the abdomen just below your ribs.
- Inhale deeply through your nose into the bottom of the lungs.
- The chest should move slightly while your stomach rises pushing your hand up.
- When the complete inhalation is complete, stay for a second and then exhale through your mouth.
- The length of the exhale should be twice the length of the inhale.
- Repeat the abdominal breathing for ten times.
- Try to breathe smooth and regular throughout, without taking in a big breath or exhaling suddenly.
The Boat pose of yoga
The yoga boat tones and strengthens the abdominal muscles. It also strengthens the spine and hip flexors. When you do the boat pose, it stimulates the kidneys, thyroid, prostate glands, intestines. You will get a right balance with this yoga pose.
- Lie down on the floor with the arms beside and feet together.
- Take a breath in and lift your chest, feet and stretch your arms towards the feet when you exhale.
- Form a straight line with the eyes, fingers, and toes.
- You will feel the tension in the stomach as the abdominal muscles contract.
- Maintain the pose with an ease of breath.
- Relax on the ground slowly with a soft exhale.
The Dolphin Plank
One of the exercises after delivery is the Dolphin Plank. The pose of Dolphin Plank tones the abdominal muscles. It improves digestion and strengthens the arms and legs. This pose also relieves the fatigue and back pains.
- Place your arms on the stability ball with a long stretch of legs.
- Firm up your abdomen, hips, straighten your back and maintain the pose for at least thirty seconds.
- You can remove the ball if you are strong enough with the elbows.
The squats workout help to increase the strength of the pelvic floor muscles and reduces back pain. Stop doing this workout when there is any discomfort doing the squats.
Taking the doctor’s OK before going for this type of exercises is good for you. Every pregnant have a different experience of delivery during the birth according to their body condition. So, know your body’s position from the doctor whether it can bear the stretches of squat or not. It is a yes from him/her, do the squat in the following way.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms down by your side.
- Start to lower your body back by pushing your hips and bending the knees.
- Feel like shifting the body weight into your heels.
- When you lower your hips, raise your arms forward.
- Maintain a straight line with the arms and shoulders.
- The lower body should be parallel to the ground.
- Do not bend the upper body but keep it straight.
- Get back to the normal position in the reverse process.
A complete healthy mother needs
Along with the exercises after delivery, a mother should have a plenty of rest, nutrition, and help from the family to have a speed recovery. The only responsibility for the mother in the first two weeks should be feeding the baby and taking care of herself.
[Read more: Best way to lose weight]
- Sleep whenever the baby sleeps.
- Arrange the baby’s bed near your bed to feed the baby easily.
- Feel free to excuse from the family for a nap or to feed the baby.
- Go for a walk and feel the fresh air. Start walking with the doctor’s assistance.
- Eat when you feel hungry. Include the nutritional foods on your plate.
Most women want to lose the weight that it put on during pregnancy. But over dieting and instant weight loss may show a harmful effect on the mother’s and baby’s health if you are breastfeeding. So, try to lose the weight slowly with proper foods and physical exercises. Take your doctor’s instructions about how to do and when to do the exercises after delivery and have a wonderful health and a beautiful baby.